We’re excited to announce we just received a generous grant from the Foundation for the Enhancement of Mitchell County (FEMC) to offer nature-centered programming for Bridges mentors and mentees in collaboration with the Milton R Owen Nature Center.
Many of our Bridges mentors and parents have asked that we provide seasonal learning opportunities for them and their mentees. This collaboration will provide mentors/mentees with opportunities to participate in meaningful learning experiences together at no cost.
Creating Pathways to Nature will offer total of six small events and one large trip over the next year. Nature Discovery packs will be awarded to mentees that attend three or more of the events valued at over $100. The nature discovery pack will consist of education materials from each event that mentees can take home with them to continue exploring the natural world.
Here’s a taste of what’s to come. Dates may be subject to change:
- Monday December 29th, 2014 from 5pm-7pm- Archery– Participants will get the opportunity to learn about Archery and shoot bows and arrows. You can also tour the facilities. A meal will be provided, so come hungry.
- Saturday January 31st 2015 from 9:30am-1:30pm- Winter Survival Day Camp– Participants will spend the day outdoors learning about winter survival and safety as well as experience winter recreation opportunities, games, activities, crossed country skiing, ice skating, and sledding. Please dress warm, where snow pants, coats, mittens, hats, boots, etc. Lunch will be provided.
- May 2015(date TBD) – Living History Farms Bus Trip- Attendees will travel to Des Moines, to visit living history farms, an educational facility that specialized in hands on, active teaching about 1800’s life. We ask that the mentor provide a sack lunch for their mentee to bring a long so we can have a lunch picnic.
- Saturday July 11th 2015- Time to be determined- Canoe the Cedar– Mentors and Mentees will travel the Cedar River via Canoe and will also get the opportunity to fish. Lunch will be provided.
- Monday September 1st 2015 from 4-6pm. Butterfly Garden Trail Tour – Tour the butterfly gardens at the Wapsi-Great Western Line Trailhead in Riceville. Here mentors and mentees will learn about pollinators and capture, tag, and release Monarchs. We will also take a walk down the nature trail.
- September 2015 (Date & Time TBD- Rockford Fossil and Prairie Park – Learn about the prairie and the history of fossils in Rockford Iowa. Transportation will be provided.
Bridges is so grateful to have so many wonderful people involved in this program. We hope to see a lot of faces at each event. Thank you to the FEMC for making this programming possible!