Who has had a lasting impact on your life? Who do you credit with helping you get to where you are today? Maybe it was a teacher, a older sibling, a coach, a neighbor, a grandparent, an extended family member, a pastor, a volunteer.
For one of our mentors it was a random match. Someone he didn’t know. Someone that was well liked in the community and someone who felt like they could make a difference in a child’s life.
Our mentee was leading a lonely life, struggled in school, had few friendships, little support and was struggling with self-esteem. One day his mom signed him up for a mentor and hoped that he would set goals for himself. She stated we will take it one step at a time. One small victory leads to another and so on.
If you ask someone about their success, you’re likely to hear about an influential mentor. Whether it’s professional, personal, spiritual, mentoring is often a catalyst for growth and acknowledgement. Mentors offer steady support, guidance, hope, experiences, and critical encouragement.
Denzel Washington said this ” Show me a successful individual and Ill show you someone who had real positive influences in his or her life. I don’t care what you do for a living, if you do it well i’m sure there was someone cheering you on or showing the way. A Mentor”
“A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it of of you”-Bob Proctor
If those aren’t reasons enough to consider mentoring, mentors also benefit from investing in others.
1. Help someone realize their potential-Everyone has unique talents and gifts why not share them?
2. Give back to your community- The most impactful way to improve your community is to spend time investing in it. Mentoring helps invest in the next generation.
3. Learn more about yourself- Relationships are a two way street. Our slogan states mentor one change two lives. Learn your strengths and weaknesses, knowledge, experience, and beliefs by sharing them with someone else.
4. Change someone’s life- You may be the only stable person in that child’s life.
5. Become a better leader- Mentoring gives you the opportunity to learn by doing.
Help us spread awareness about mentoring in our communities. Continue to donate to a worthwhile cause and most importantly continue to invest in the life of a child in our communities. Our children are our future. Help us engage more youth and mentoring volunteers in our communities. We cannot do this alone!
Think back to the first question we asked. Who has helped you to get where you are today? And who can I help do the same? Join the Bridges Mentoring Program today and help a child reach their full potential.